Healthy,vegan heaven.I adore all kinds of energy bars,and for todays recipe i decided to share with you my newest recipe.
Strawberry oat chocolate bars are perfect for breakfast,snack but also for a lunch box for your kids.Fresh strawberry taste mixed with oat and chocolate is a perfect combo.I had inspiration to make something sweet but also healthy and my son helped me!
Crunchy oat with melted dark chocolate and strawberry will give you energy and a full taste for the morning.It can company your busy day beautifully-if you take it to work with you.I was lucky enough to find yummy sweet strawberries in the farmers market next door so the taste was even more special.Ofcourse for the filling-you can mix them with jam!
It was my first time to try this recipe-i used sugar-but next time i promise i will use only honey-to make it healthier.I used a bit of flower in this recipe which next time i will do only with oat and honey!
Strawberry Oat Chocolate Bars (vegan,whole grain)
- 1 1/2 cups (150 grams) rolled oats
- 3/4 cup (94 grams) white whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) brown sugar or raw sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup (149 grams) room temperature coconut oil (should be as soft as room temp butter)1 or 3/4 cup (168 grams) unsalted butter for a non-vegan and non-dairy-free version
- 1 1/2 cups (159 grams) fresh strawberries
- 5 tablespoons (100 grams) strawberry jam (make sure to use vegan jam, if necessary)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 – 1 cup (135 – 180 grams) semi-sweet mini chocolate chips (or regular sized chips / chunks. Make sure to use diary free or vegan chocolate if necessary.)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C and line an 8″x8″ (20cmx20cm) baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the rolled oats, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in the coconut oil using a pastry blender, two knives or your fingers, and mix until the dough just comes together. The dough should not be very crumbly, but should stick together.
- Gently press two thirds of it onto the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes or until the edges just start to brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare the strawberry filling. In a medium bowl, mix together the strawberry, jam and vanilla. Lightly mash with a fork.
- Spread this mixture over the baked crust and then sprinkle about 1/2 cup (90 grams) chocolate chips over the raspberry layer.
- Sprinkle the remaining oat mixture over the chocolate chips.
- Bake for another 22-25 minutes or until the top has lightly browned and the filling is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and top with more chocolate chips, if desired.
- Let the bars cool completely and then refrigerate for 2 hours before cutting.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. These can also be frozen.
This is how it should look like! I love this recipe and i really recommend it for all energy protein bar lovers.I also love it cause i am teaching my son to eat different kind of sweets.
If you want to see more of my baking videos-you can click here “Natali Thanou-Pumpkin pie (making of)”