It’s one of the most fun days of the year and you might as well change it up and put some spice in your kitchen!Over the years we are making our gingerbread man cookies every Christmas-but this time we decided to do it for the Halloween.Kids are going completely nuts over this,and the experience is rewarding.
Here is what you need to do to make this bloody vampire cookies!
- 350g/12oz plain flower, plus extra for rolling out
- 1 ts bicarbonate soda
- 2 ts ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 125g/4½ butter
- 175g/6oz light soft brown sugar
- 1 free-rang egg
- 4 tbsp golden syrup (or honey)
- writing royal icing
- red food colour
HOW TO ?
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5 and line a baking tray with baking parchment. Sieve the flour, salt, bicarb, ginger and cinnamon into a large bowl. Heat the butter, sugar and syrup until dissolved. Leave the sugar mixture to cool slightly, then mix into the dry ingredients to form a dough. Chill the dough in the fridge for 30 mins.
- On a surface lightly dusted with flour, roll out the dough to a ¼-inch thickness. Stamp out the gingerbread men shapes with a cutter, then re-roll any off-cuts and repeat. Place your gingerbread shapes on the lined trays, allowing space for them to spread. Cook for 10-15 mins, then remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- 90g pasteurized egg whites
- 600g, plus 1 tbsp sifted icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1) In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form.2) Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar, 100g at a time, on medium-low speed. Add the lemon juice and beat on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form and the icing is no longer shiny, 6 to 8 minutes. Put the half of the icing in another bowl and add red food colouring.
3) Use immediately or place the icing into an airtight container. You can keep royal icing in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Voila! Soooo much fun! And tasty too! The greatest thing about alll this is that you are creating unforgettable memories with your family.Priceless!