Hey guys! It’s been a while since i wrote-but only ’cause it was august-the month of craziness!And i hope you all had a blast on your vacation..!
I am a summer person but telling you the truth-i am pretty excited that we are going back to school!My son is starting 1 st grade of elementary school-and you know what that means-excitement,anxiety,all the emotions mixed together..It’s pretty intense..
For the last weekend before the school starts i decided to make GEMISTA.It is summer food that almost everyone love,my son started loving it too (Thanks God:)
For this version of GEMISTA i used minced meat as well.Most of the people love this dish strictly vegeterian- but let’s explore this style .
- 400 gr minced beef meat
- 300 gr of rice
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 piece of garlic minced
- a bit of butter
- 5 big green peppers
- 5 big green tomatoes
- 2 potatos
- olive oil
- white wine
How to ?
- Wash the tomatoes and the peppers and set aside.Chop your onion,mint,parsley and garlic and set aside.
- In a heated pan put your minced meat and crush it to small pieces.Add garlic, onion, mint,parsley,salt , pepper and olive oil and mix.
- Empty your tomatoes and peppers with the spoon for gemista.Leave one third of the tomato juice for later on-to sprinkle over them when ready to go in oven.Remained juice from emptied tomatoes -add to your meat mix.
- Add a bit of sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.Add a bit of butter and a bit of white wine.
- Add rice and one glass of water.Mix it well and lower the heat.
- Pre-heat the oven on 180 degrees.
- After 10 minutes-take off your meat mix and fill your gemista.Close them and sprinkle the rest of the tomato juice , olive oil and a bit of salt more.Add some bread crusts over them just to have that crispy vibe later on.
- Close it with aluminium paper and bake it for 1 hour in the over.
- 10 minutes before ready-take of the paper and bake them so they have this crusty taste.
Serve them a bit cooled and it is perfect with greek yogurt or of-course feta!